WRT’s Z-88® Radium Removal process is the most effective and environmentally responsible choice you can make for removing radium from drinking water and the community. That’s because after removing the radium, we dispose of it in a licensed facility. With other treatment processes, radium removed from water may be sent to the wastewater treatment plant and can end up back in the local environment.
This process removes radium by passing contaminated water through a fluidized bed of our proprietary Z-88® natural adsorptive media in treatment columns—without adding chemicals, generating liquid waste, or wasting water. We provide a complete solution, from process equipment and radiation safety assurance to the handling and transportation of radium-loaded media.
- Reduction of radium to less than the MCL of 5 pCi/L guarantees regulatory compliance
- No backwash or regeneration cycle required
- Zero-liquid discharge system ensures that no liquid waste stream is generated
- Pre-treatment for iron removal not required
- Minimal maintenance and operation consists of routine monitoring and sampling
- No handling of radioactive materials, media or chemicals by utility staff
- Disposal of TENORM* to a licensed facility
- Z-88® is NSF Standard 61 certified for use in drinking water
- A complete package of services can be provided on a long-term contract basis